Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Blue October Concert

While at work today, I went to take a leak sometime around 2:30 in the afternoon. I strolled up to a urinal that was in mid-flush and I immediately realized that the guy who was there before me had asparagus for lunch. Yeah, I know. That's fuckin sick.

I absolutely had to share that with everyone. Not only does it make up for my utterly unimaginative title for this post, but I feel it gives the reader some insight into my mental playground. It's fun sometimes. Other times it smells funny.

Here are some pictures from the Blue October concert my roommate, gf, and I went to recently. It was at the Club Nokia which is in the new LA Live complex that is next to Staples. The venue is very new and by far the purtiest that I have been to. The staff was a bunch of n00bs but that's probably par for a new joint. The drinks were pricey but that's par for a concert in downtown LA.

Here's a pic of the stage before the show got started.


Technically, this was in the middle of the show as it was after the opening band's set. Honestly, I don't consider this particular opening act as part of the show; it'd be an insult to the show. Perhaps, it would qualify as a side show.

It was this lackluster band called "Ours" and I really don't care to link their website. It was by far the most craptacular opening act I had ever seen. I think they should change their name to "Theirs" as I don't want any of it. It's all Thurzzz. Prior to the concert, my homie Brent told me that Ours was "kinda" big however many years ago. And yes, he did the air quotes when he said, "kinda." Now I understand exactly what he was driving at although I think he overstated their prior success.

Here's a pic of Blue October rocking out.


We paid a little extra (~$5) to get into the VIP area which included balcony seats and access to the VIP bar that was pass a security guard, beyond a velvet rope, and up an elevator. You know, kinda like getting into the Bat Cave. On the right of the pic, you can see all the unimportant people standing in their unimportant people area next to other unimportant people. Please, join me in an evil laugh. Muahahahahaha!!!

I'm glad we purchased the balcony seats. Not only because I am a very VIP, but it was also assigned seating so that you could sit down and take a nap during the opening act. The unimportant people area was all general admission. We also lucked out and got seats pretty close to the edge of the balcony as you can tell by the railing in the pic. It woulda been nicer if were closer to the center of the stage but ah well.

Also, you can sorta make out some camera guys at the foot of the stage. They were shooting a video for one of their new songs "Say it". Maybe we'll be in it. I did flash my man boobs after all. They actually played this song twice because they were shooting the video. I guess they needed to be sure that they had enough useable footage. Maybe they wanted more shots of my fabulous teats.

Here's another pic of the band. The lead singer is spittin his lyrics on the masses.

I honestly think he's a very talented lyricist. I'm able to understand what he's trying to say without thinking about it too much. It just kinda clicks most of the time. The analogies that he uses to describe emotions are spot on. I may not feel like he does but I am able to understand what he is feeling.

They did a lot of new material from their album that was released a few days after the concert. It's called "Approaching Normal" for those that are interested. Despite not knowing any of the new songs they performed, I really had a good time and it got me looking forward to the album release. I highly recommend listening through some of the songs on their website.

They also performed a few songs from previous albums which was awesome. Though not enough if you ask me. Sadly, they skipped out on doing an encore. Encore fail, I know. Maybe they thought because they played "Say it" twice that the second time counted as the encore. Whatever. Overall, I thought it was a great concert and well worth being bent over by ticketmaster. DIAF, ticketmaster. May the genitals of every member of your board of directors be covered in infected, oozing pustules.

No comments: